Cupcakes in a jar are the hot thing right now. They've even been seen on The Today Show! Have you tried one of these mashed confections of cake and icing?
These work great in one of my Dessert jars - or - if you're taking out on a picnic or to a party, they would work great in one of the screw top's.
Red Velvet Cupcakes In A Jar
makes 8 servings
prep time: 15 MINUTES
cook time: 24 MINUTES
FOR THE CUPCAKES
- 1 cup flour
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup oil
- 3/4 sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons red food coloring
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon white vinegar
CREAM CHEESE ICING
- 220 g cream cheese, softened to room temperature
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened to room temperature
- 3 ¾ cups icing sugar, sifted
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
FOR THE CUPCAKES
- Preheat oven to 175 degrees. Line a 12 cup muffin pan with paper liners or spray pan with spray with cooking spray.
- Sift together cake flour, cocoa powder, and salt.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, combine oil and sugar until well-blended. Add egg and mix until combined.
- Turn your mixer down to the lowest speed and add vanilla, then slowly add in the food coloring. Note: If you are using liquid food coloring, it will take about 2 tablespoons of coloring to get a dark red shade. Add the dye slowly and color according to your preference.
- Add flour mixture alternately with buttermilk in two batches; scrape down the side of the bowl. Continue mixing until just combined, taking care not to over mix.
- Place baking soda in a small dish, stir in vinegar and add to batter with the machine running. Beat for about 10 seconds.
- Using a medium scoop (about 3 tablespoons), divide batter between the 12 muffin tins, filling each well about 2/3 full of batter. Bake for 20-24 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Be careful not to over bake.
FOR THE CREAM CHEESE ICING
- In a the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream together cream cheese and butter until well combined.
- With the mixer on low, gradually add the icing sugar until thoroughly incorporated and smooth. Add vanilla and mix to combine.
TO ASSEMBLE IN JARS
- Slice cupcakes horizontally to create layers. Each cupcake will yield 2-3 layers depending on how thick you want your layers to be.
- Place one cupcake layer into the bottom of your jar, pipe a layer of cream cheese icing directly onto the cake layer. Repeat the layering process until you reach the top of your jar. If desired, garnish with festive sprinkles or red velvet cake crumbs.